Board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Cheryl Burgess and her team at the Center for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery offer a wide variety of conservative and non-surgical solutions for cosmetic enhancement and curative treatments. However, some conditions require a surgical procedure to achieve the desired result. Although dermatological surgery is typically very low-risk and minor in nature, it is important to choose the right physician for optimal effectiveness and minimal scarring.
Conditions that may be treated with a surgical technique include:
- Skin cancer – The most common solution for skin cancer is surgical removal. Several techniques are used, depending on the location, type and growth rate of the cancerous lesion. Early detection allows for the most effective treatment, with the smallest possible scar.
- Rosacea – In some cases, laser surgery may be used to treat superficial blood vessels. Other treatment options include laser therapy, topical creams and oral medication.
- Vitiligo – The severity and duration of this problem varies from one individual to another. In some instances, skin grafting may be considered.
- Split earlobe – Trauma or the pressure created by heavy earrings, can tear (split) an earlobe. This can make wearing earrings impossible and the appearance can be embarrassing. This condition can be easily repaired with a very minor reliable procedure.
- Cysts – If not infected, cysts are typically harmless. However, they can become quite large and painful, occasionally requiring surgical removal.
- Folliculitis – Laser surgery is one of several potential treatment options.
- Scars – There are several methods of scar revision. Some, such as dermal fillers for depressed acne scars, are non-surgical. However, in some cases, a minor surgery may be used to remove excess tissue or to create a smaller, less noticeable scar.
Dr. Cheryl Burgess has extensive experience in all aspects of dermatological practice, including surgical procedures. She has written numerous textbook chapters and articles published in peer reviewed journals. She is also a trusted advisor and researcher for several companies such as Johnson & Johnson, Allergan Inc. and Merz and she is frequently consulted by the media as a medical expert.
Your skin deserves the best. If you are considering a surgical dermatology procedure, turn to a physician with the expertise to deliver exceptional results. Call the Center for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery at (202) 955-5757 today and schedule a consultation with Dr. Burgess.