read more testimonials
Board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Cheryl Burgess and her team at the Center for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery offer a wide variety of conservative and non-surgical solutions for cosmetic enhancement and curative treatments. However, some conditions require a surgical procedure to achieve the desired result. Although dermatological surgery is typically very low-risk and minor in nature, it is important to choose the right physician for optimal effectiveness and minimal scarring.
Conditions that may be treated with a surgical technique include:
- Skin cancer – The most common solution for skin cancer is surgical removal. Several techniques are used, depending on the location, type, and growth rate of the cancerous lesion. Early detection allows for the most effective treatment, with the smallest possible scar.
- Rosacea – In some cases, laser surgery may be used to treat superficial blood vessels. Other treatment options include laser therapy, topical creams, and oral medication.
- Vitiligo – The severity and duration of this problem varies from one individual to another. In some instances, skin grafting may be considered.
- Split earlobe – Trauma, or the pressure created by heavy earrings, can tear (split) an earlobe. This can make wearing earrings impossible, and the appearance can be embarrassing. This condition can be easily repaired with a very minor, reliable procedure.
- Cysts – If not infected, cysts are typically harmless. However, they can become quite large and painful, occasionally requiring surgical removal.
- Folliculitis – Laser surgery is one of several potential treatment options.
- Scars – There are several methods of scar revision. Some, such as dermal fillers for depressed acne scars, are non-surgical. However, in some cases a minor surgery may be used to remove excess tissue, or to create a smaller, less noticeable scar.
Your skin deserves the best. If you are considering a surgical dermatology procedure, turn to a physician with the expertise to deliver exceptional results. Call the Center for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery at 202.955.5757 today and schedule a consultation with Dr. Burgess.
There are many different types of skin lumps and bumps that can develop. A common one is that of the ...
Surgical and non-surgical dermatology procedures available for Washington area residents dealing with warts and seeking cosmetic enhancements
Warts are common skin growths, which are a result of the human papillomavirus (referred to as HPV). They can ...
Scars may develop on the skin because of accidental injury, or from a surgical procedure. The development of a ...